Tuesday, March 15, 2011

To Be Trusted Is a Beautiful Thing

This week my husband blessed me with a wonderful gift. The gift of trust.

We have a decision to make. It involves both of us, but not seriously life-changing or anything. It is something that he has pretty firm opinions about. And something on which we usually differ.

So Mike came to me one day and says, "I've been praying about this, and I feel like God is telling me that you should make the decision about this."

Wow. Talk about trust. Talk about pressure. Talk about surprise! As I began thinking more and more about this, I experienced many emotions. For one, I felt honoured that not only did my husband trust me with this decision, but so did my Heavenly Father! I also felt like a lot weighed on my shoulders.

I didn't doubt the word that my husband received from God. I did, however, wonder why He would want me to make this decision, something that was out of my comfort zone. I know that Mike believes that it is a test for him, but it is also a test for me. It's amazing how many times I fight to get my way, or at least my say in things that go on around our place. And I often struggle submitting fully to my husband's ideas. So this is what happens when I try to be more respectful to my husband. God opens a door for me to be in charge in this certain area. Which is what I usually demand. But now that I have control, and didn't expect, or even want, it, I'm stuck. It's amazing, really. I want to do the right thing for our family even more than before. Because someone believes in me and trusts me.

I now want others to feel trusted like I do. Like my husband. And my kids. My family. And friends. When you know someone is counting on you and trusts you, you have an even greater desire to make the right decision. And I desire to weigh all the options carefully. And seek Mike's opinion. Which is something I don't normally, naturally do. But because he trusts me, I know want to please him more. Trust...interesting concept.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting, indeed! When the tables are turned...
I think it's excellent that you're being so careful and cautious with Mike's trust, that you're not taking it and running carelessly and just doing whatever you want. It's neat to see your kind response to his trust and this freedom.